Resolve Violations

L1. Where can I direct my Violation inquires You can email There will be no live phone assistance. If you call and select Data Integrity, it will direct you to the email address. All emails will be responded to in a timely manner.
2. How can I pay my fines? You can pay online as directed in your violations billing notice, using a secure payment process (administered using PayPal) or, alternatively, you may send a check payable to CRMLS, Inc. and mailed to CRMLS, Attn: Data Integrity, 15325 Fairfield Ranch Road, Suite 200, Chino Hills, CA 91709.
3. How can I dispute a violation? You may email to discuss your violation. If the matter is unable to be resolved via email communication, staff will contact you by phone.  Please make sure to provide your name, public ID and valid contact phone number.
4. How can I appeal a violation?
If you are unable to resolve your violations questions, you will have the option of filing a formal appeal for an administrative hearing which you may request by emailing